- It is a non-access modifier
- Static keyword can be applied to an instance variable or method.
- Applying to an instance variable makes that variable as a class variable.
- Both primitive and reference variable can be marked with static keyword
- Static member
- Static member belong to the class rather than to any particular instance, i.e.) it is used independently of any object of that class.
- Static member is created using static keyword.
- When a member is declared static, it can be accessed before any objects of its class are created, and without reference to any object.
The best example of a static member is main() method. main() should be called before any object exists , hence it is declared as static.